My trip to Korea (2005 - 2009) was a personal journey to discover what life is like on the other side of the world. Stateside now and having found the love of my life, this blog is sure to go quiet for long stretches at a time but may see a sprinkle of disjointed topics, thoughts that pass through my mind, and perhaps bits and pieces of being in love with my husband. Welcome!
In 2007 the total military expenditure of the U.S. Department of Defense was $439.3 Billion. Personally I can't get my head around that figure, but this quote sums up my thoughts:
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children… This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
— Former U.S. President, Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a speech on April 16, 1953
Is that from that "Why We Fight" documentary? (I just checked. It doesn't appear to be. Maybe I'm watching too many movies.) So, anyone have any suggestions on what I, a lowly and irrational offline captioner, can do to stop these injustices? Stop paying taxes? Civil disobedience? Write my disinterested congressman? Rock the vote? Join my local militia? Join Al-Qaeda? Ride my bike to work? Will any of these ideas help change things? I'm feeling helpless in this power-hungry anti-utopia. I need a beer.
Beers all around!!! :) God, I love the Falkenthals.
And that quote (especially the part about 'the genius of its scientists') that Bluewave posted reminds me of a book -- "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut. My friend loaned me his copy last summer. I haven't read a heaping helping of books, but I really liked that one. Matter of fact, I usually don't finish books unless I find them interesting enough to hammer through. Anyone else read it? Is it okay if we use your blog as a discussion board, Sue? :)
8 comments:
This reminds me of one of my favorite lines in the movie "Brazil" -- "We're All In It Together."
Silly monkeys are we.
thank you jason for being who you are and same with your wife.
You're welcome. And thank you for being who you are.
I'm speechless. But I want to say something. So. I'll say this... Silly monkeys are we. Hey.. it worked for Jason.
In 2007 the total military expenditure of the U.S. Department of Defense was $439.3 Billion. Personally I can't get my head around that figure, but this quote sums up my thoughts:
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children… This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
— Former U.S. President, Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a speech on April 16, 1953
Is that from that "Why We Fight" documentary? (I just checked. It doesn't appear to be. Maybe I'm watching too many movies.) So, anyone have any suggestions on what I, a lowly and irrational offline captioner, can do to stop these injustices? Stop paying taxes? Civil disobedience? Write my disinterested congressman? Rock the vote? Join my local militia? Join Al-Qaeda? Ride my bike to work? Will any of these ideas help change things? I'm feeling helpless in this power-hungry anti-utopia. I need a beer.
when you find out jason, enlighten me. until then, pass me a beer please.
Beers all around!!! :) God, I love the Falkenthals.
And that quote (especially the part about 'the genius of its scientists') that Bluewave posted reminds me of a book -- "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut. My friend loaned me his copy last summer. I haven't read a heaping helping of books, but I really liked that one. Matter of fact, I usually don't finish books unless I find them interesting enough to hammer through. Anyone else read it? Is it okay if we use your blog as a discussion board, Sue? :)
Post a Comment