Thursday, November 13, 2008

dancing addiction

I just had my first East Coast Swing class at the studio and I loved it. I took the Swing Workshop a few weeks back and finally the studio has started a weekly Swing lesson. The music for Swing is great. Lots of Elvis stuff and songs that were, as far as I can tell, playing on the radio when my parents were the age i am now, maybe even younger since i foget that i'm already way older then they were when they first had my sister and me. Anyway, when I hear this kind of music it feels more a part of me than Latin music ever will (but I can never leave Salsa or my love for it). If you’re not careful Swing can feel a lot like Dosado square dancing or the polka but it’s not. It’s a three step: 1 2 3 1 2 3 rock step.

My colleague, a guy, joined the class tonight and got a membership to the studio. I have brought many customers to the studio and Helen the owner/teacher recognizes it. Craig, a Beginner I Salsa student, told Helen that had it not been for me, he wouldn’t have gone to a second class. I had helped him slowly step through the routine that we had learned on his first day of Salsa (this was when I was still in Salsa I) and he responded quite well to a little extra one-on-one. I could see it clicking with him. He decided to stick with it and comes all the time now! anyway, back to my colleague. It was weird to be dancing so so close with someone I work with every day. Helen said we were dancing too far apart and I kept thinking, “No, we work together. This is proper distance for dancing colleagues.” But, put me together with David, a friend I know only through dancing, and we draw together like magnets, belly-to-belly, nearly nose-to-nose.

So I ordered some dance shoes for Swing. That’s 70,000₩ I didn’t expect to be spending tonight! Oh well. I’m sure glad I have a job now so I can support my dancing addiction.

No comments: