Wednesday, August 27, 2008

last, this, next

Big changes are happening in my life and an update is in order. I can’t wait any longer to exhale though my future here in Korea is still in limbo. I had wanted to wait until all the dust settled and I was more sure of my situation before talking about it but today’s events were a climax for this chapter of my life and put me in the mood to gab. So I’ll start where I left off a few weeks back with the oppressive heat, continue through to the completion of my second and final semester of studying Korean at SungKyunKwan last week, deliver today’s great news, and finish off with what’s (hopefully) in store for the next couple of weeks.

Well eventually that heat finally broke and my room temperature dropped below 30 C making it possible to sleep through the night again … in bedclothes, with a cover! And it’s been wonderful getting dressed and undressed without feeling like I’m trapped in a straightjacket fighting with clothes stubbornly sticking to sticky skin. I've even taken my folding fan out of my purse and put it back in the seasonal draw for next year.

We had a wondrous calamity of a booming storm to mark the transitioning weather, with lightening and thunder zapping and pounding away the oppressive heat. Since then the temperature has been absolutely heavenly with breezy winds and comfortable air. I have only my blog post to remind me of how much I hated this house; this house that I now love.

Along with the new weather came a deeply missed wave of inspiration. Those scorching hot days and baking nights had cooked away all my desires to read, write, exercise and socialize. I leave behind a series of identical days marked by whirling fans, trickling sweat, and cold showers; days filled by doing the absolute bare minimum. But now with the cooling of the weather I feel reenergized. I want to get lost in a good book. I want to wander in thought and write what I feel. I want to get back to my body and spend more time on yoga and hiking. I want to come out of my heat-induced hibernation that had me hiding out in cool cafes with my nose in the books.

Ah yes, the books. Those books which now aimlessly lay scattered about on my table in my room amongst vocabulary flash cards, homework, tests, CDs, class notes and worksheets knowing they’ve got nothing to do for the rest of their lives except be sorted, pared, organized and referred to on rare occasions because I no longer need them. I finished my Korean Level II semester at SungKyunKwan with a passing grade of 71.3. I could not be more pleased with my final grade. Though I did poorly on the listening and speaking part of the final exam – in fact I failed my listening exam with a 59 – I did well enough on my reading and writing to finish with a passing grade. Let me say it again: I passed! That was my goal and I achieved it! I was jumping for joy when I got my certificate because that grade reflects the choices I made, the plan I put into action and time, effort and energy that I directed towards not failing. Perfect attendance too, with a certificate to prove it.




So I guess that brings us up to today, the climax of this chapter of my life, the motivation for this post: Today I signed a work contract. Though it’s completely meaningless if I don’t actually get my work visa from Immigration (hey, can’t happen twice in Korea, can it?) I can’t hold onto this news any longer.

A bit of background: A few weeks ago I was feeling pretty hopeless about my remaining time in Korea and pouting because, outside of studying Korean – and the prospect of going through another semester of Korean caused me to get the shakes – there was nothing else I could do since I didn’t want to teach English and couldn’t work as an Editor. I remember being squirreled away in my room one day moping about it. Suddenly I felt I should have proof of my plight before pulling others in with my woe-is-me complaints and went directly for worknplay.co.kr, a popular Korean job forum, for a look-see. My intent was to verify that in fact there was nothing out there, to substantiate my sulking, and justify being miserable company. But as it turns out, I found a job.

Not just a job. The same job I used to do back home. A job for a software company. A job for which I not only have the right degree but the right work experience as well. It was a match any way I looked at it and within 2 hours I had my revamped resume and a tight cover letter sent off to the job contact. And then I got in to bed and waited.

A few days went by and no word. With no phone number on the job announcement I knew getting in touch with the job contact was going to be no simple task but the internet is a wonderful pot of info. I started with the company website and collected all the numbers for each of the offices (there are multiple) located in and around Seoul. I called about 4 different numbers, about 8 different times, which rang for infinity. Eventually I got a human who gave me another number, which connected me to another human who gave me another number, which finally connected me with the job contact, who was quite surprised and curious as to how I found him. (They were in the midst of moving offices and getting new numbers.) It was clear that he hadn’t even looked at my resume submission but my phone call to him, which almost didn't happen but for my persistence, prompted him to send me the editing test that day for the position of Technical Editor / Proofreader / Writer. Within a week I had been interviewed twice (on my birthday in fact! which, btw, I need a whole nother post to say how cool my b-day was) and today they formally offered me the job. And now I wait again. There’s a four-step process that must be competed before I can officially begin working:
  1. Skill Verification from the Korean Software Board – basically the company has to prove to the Software Board that they are not taking away a job from a Korean by offering to a foreigner. As a native English speaker working as a Technical Editor / Proofreader I'd be correcting the technical materials for international distribution and in some cases I'd be creating new material.
  2. Visa extension – I’m currently on a student visa which expires next week so I have to extend my stay with a 30 temporary visa which will not be granted unless I show proof, in the form of plane tickets for example, that I’m in fact leaving in 30 days. So I'm combing the need for the proof of departure and the need to go on a Visa Run (see step 4) by buying tickets for a trip in three weeks which is when we're guessing we'll have the Work Visa Approval Code (see step 3)
  3. Work Visa Approval Code – this is what comes from Immigration if all goes well. If it does, then I take the Approval Code and go on the Visa Run. If it doesn’t, then I change my plane tickets to one-way home
  4. Visa Run – I can go anywhere where there's a Korean Embassy which will stamp my passport with the visa that will allow me to live and work in the country. I'm thinking of going to China. Tomorrow I’m going to the travel agency and buying the tickets, then Thursday I’ll be going to Immigration to get my 30 day visa extension *she types with crossed fingers*
*exhales*

Now that I feel fully depleted of the need to gab it’s time for me to go to bed. And be hopeful. I want to celebrate – the weather, my final grade, the new job – but it’s too soon, for the new job anyhow. Until I get that Work Visa I’m still in limbo. Thank goodness I can still dance in limbo. We're having a farewell party at the house this Friday for Britt and John. There will be dancing.

Limbo, no. Salsa, oh yes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you get struck by lightning?

Soo said...

would that be in reference to my curly hair? ...

Steve said...

You go girl

Your getting prettier as you age.

Love DAD

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. I am amazing for giving birth to you. Dad is amazing for standing there and watching, and for noticing that "Your getting prettier as you age." (Hmmm... no proof reading skills inherited there...)

Anonymous said...

Whops! I forgot to name myself in that little box that says "Name/URL." I hope you figured out it was me... I'm thinking the "giving birth" part was a dead give away.