Wednesday, June 25, 2008

what roses?

When someone holds 530,000 ₩ in front of your face and says they’ll give it to you in 48 hours, it’s hard to not say, “yeah, I’ll do it!” with a greedy little smile.

Somewhere in the middle of 14 hours (mostly consecutive) and 31 pages of nearly 20,000 typed words of dialog transcribed from a 106 minutes of a random business meeting recorded on video, you being to question if it’s worth it.

Then you say to yourself: rent, utilities, food and transportation. And then again: rent, utilities, food and transportation. And then again: rent, utilities, food and transportation. And somehow, though your eyes gloss over and your fingers stiffen and your shoulders rise up to your ears in protest against the strain and stress of it all, you finish the job and are so freaking happy that you want to blog about instead of go to bed and get the sleep that you’ve deprived yourself of over the past 48 hours to accomplish this time-critical task.

So here I am.

And this is what I figured out:

I want an easy life, one of leisure and relaxation, one of enjoyment of simple things. Hard work is over-rated, plus it just doesn’t look good on me.

I don’t work well under deadlines and time crunches. It causes me stress and the next thing you know I’m barreling down the street, practically running from one place to the next, picking-off innocent bystanders who happen upon my path like I’m charging down the lane to make the meanest lay-up in history of basketball. Red lights, traffic jams and slow bus drivers irritate and annoy this monster I become. Phone calls, chat messages, knocks at the door and social appointments only add to the stress cocktail that I’m drunk on. The sky’s beauty goes unnoticed. Emails go unanswered. Friends and family go ignored. Yoga goes unattended. Books go unread. Teeth go unbrushed. And sometimes, pizza gets eaten.

A smile, let alone a greedy one, is the furthest thing I could access in this moment of critical time use.

Although I don’t want to buy back my smile for 530,000 ₩, living life happily is too priceless for me to sell. Some work well under pressure. I work well above pressure.

This probably means I’ll be broke one day …

3 comments:

Big Sis said...

the skies parted and God shined his wisdom down on her. And so be it...it was...she was broke and happy...

ßlϋeωãvε said...

And so Sue comes to realise what many women down the ages have longed for - to marry a rich man and be a lady of leisure. ;-)

I don't think you're afraid of hard work, it's just that you want the work to be beneficial to both you and others, and preferably something you enjoy doing. Hey, we're all looking for that in an ideal world!

So you got paid roughly US$512 for 14 hours work. That's a rate of $36.6/hr, or about 2.5 cents a word. I was going to say you should have negotiated harder, but that rate is good seeing as you didn't need to commute, you could work from home eating pizza & ice cream in your jim-jams, and you got a cash-in-hand payment at the end!

Steve said...

Sue, somehow I am begining to like Mr. Tim He is logical and takes time to break things down.

loldad