This is an illustration from the book called
Following Robinson Crusoe, a book on surving the deserted island scenario, by Park Sangjonon & Park Kyungsoo but it's Lee Wooil, the illustrator, whom I'd like to ask ... What is going on here? Why does he need a smoke when he 'goes to the stool' and why does the 'dung' say 'that's nonsense'? I'm convinced there is something culturally specific depicted in this illustration and I feel like I'm missing out; I must know what the subtext is.

I've read about the positive effects of nicotine on bowel stimulation but does this cartoon imply that all Korean's smoke (or think they need to smoke) in order to have a bowel movement? That's nonsense ... (okay, so I just figured out what the dung is saying ... did I just personify a pile of shit?)
2 comments:
Hi sue...this is hysterical...and i really like reading the comments you get... i just watched your flicker photos and i never realized how COLORFUL Korea is. How great that would be for me, to be surrounded by so many colors. I can guarantee that Pittsburgh doesn't have that many colors in their rainbow. Maybe that's why people are so miserable! I can't wait to see you in June...Only a few more months!!!!!!!
i booked my tickets - mark your calendars: June 2nd I land in the US! enough time to be over my jet lag before the wedding. can't wait!
I'm glad you like my pics of Korea.
Thankfully P-burg has you and jason to liven things up! Love you guys!
Post a Comment