A few days out of every month I feel especially amorous and long for love and life-long companionship. Today is one of those days. What do I do about it, you ask? Well, I channel all my energy into living and experiencing this love vicariously through reading books, journal writing, and watching movies and ... TV series. Enter: "The Office", the funniest and greatest TV series that I've ever seen. It's based on a UK series of the same name. As the name suggests it's a show about an office and the workers in that office, filmed like a documentary. All of the characters on the (US) show are interesting in their own right but if you are a loyal fan then you probably tune in to watch either Michael/UK-David (the manager whose goal in life is to be friends with his subordinates), or Pam/UK-Dawn (the easy-going receptionist) and Jim/UK-Tim (the salesman who has a crush on Pam) or Dwight/UK-Gareth (the nerdy, rule-following, suck-up). Michael and Dwight are funny as hell but I watch for the interactions between Pam and Jim.
I love Jim and his crush on Pam. Pam is engaged to one of the company's warehouse workers but he's dragging his feet. Nothing has come of Jim's crush on Pam, yet. They spend down time in the office playing jokes on Dwight and exchanging lots of playful banter. Jim is so easy-going, funny, compassionate, sweet, thoughtful, confident, even-tempered and ... well it's just his aura. I can't explain it. I'm drawn to his attitude and charisma. Jim is not a carbon copy of his UK counterpart, Tim. Anyway, season 2, episode 18, "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" aired last Thursday and, like always, it was great. It was very funny. I could totally relate to Michael's initial discomfort with the children his employee's brought to work as he struggled to find ways to connect with them.
I've seen The (UK) Office Christmas Special (which aired as a follow-up to season two) and in it Tim and Dawn ~finally~ get together which makes me thrilled b/c that means that it is very likely that the same will happen between Jim and Pam in the US series. I realize this is pathetic but the truth is that it feels good to get involved in the drama so I just let myself get involved and care for the characters and their story as though they were actually real! I'm hoping and wishing for love and life-long companionship for pretend people.
3 comments:
I've not seen the American version of The Office, but had heard it was well produced.
Watching The Office for the first time was so cringe-worthy because we've all worked in similar environments with bosses like David Brent.
The Uk Christmas Special was a good episode.
Just when you least expect it...BAM! Love happens....you said it yourself (hehe)...I know in my heart that he is out there just waiting for the right time and place to meet you. There was a song from the 80's...the lyric..."...i wonder if we're wishing on the same bright star..." One more thing...one of my students told me yesterday..."there are always happy endings, if you're not happy, then it hasn't ended" I love my job. But not near as much as i love you! Big smooch and hug!
it's been 12 days - about time for a new blog entry isn't it?
Post a Comment