Saturday, March 11, 2006

miso embarrassed

Well today the 2nd most embarrassing thing happened to me since coming to Seoul. I spilled (a full bowl of) miso soup into my lap at a restaurant with a Korean family that graciously invited me to dinner and then a concert afterwards. I'm not a clumsy person or a nervous fumbler however that made no difference tonight when my elbow caught the lip of my bowl as I pulled my arm back toward me after reaching for something (?? I don't even remember what anymore) at the center of the table. The soup goes into my lap and in between my legs, on my legs (and on my shirt and coat!). I stood up and the miso soup just ran down my pants! You got it, if they were any other color besides black then it would have looked like I peed in my pants. But, I was fortunate to have been wearing black pants that were made of a quick drying material; luckily all the soup wiped off well enough to disguise the spill but I was still modified that I'd be going to a concert smelling like SOUP! Agh- the shame! It was hard to be comfortable and enjoy the concert when I was so wrapped up in this thought: 'if I can smell miso soup on me, then does that mean others around me can smell it too?' ... miso smelly

Well the concert was fabulous! The soup couldn't have dampened that! The performer is 19-year old Bora Gene, a Korean prodigy who has received a scholarship from Berkeley. She is a jazz pianist and performed 12 pieces: one in the complete dark (amazing) and one with James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, (okay, he was on screen; it was the recording of his Seoul live performance from early this month) and one with an accompanying live drum performance.

But quirky things kept happening tonight.

a.) I can't account for 3,000₩ so I guess I lost it. Not a lot of money but this is unusual for me. I keep a record of everything I buy in Quicken so that I can track my spending and budget my money. Now I'll have to do a balance update to adjust the amount in my cash account and that never sits right with me because the 3,000₩ will be categorized as uncategorized. That wouldn't be a problem if I weren't anal but ... miso anal

b.) I lost the business card given to me by the husband of the Korean family that hosted me tonight. Since Koreans don't go around introducing themselves by their names I have learned that name cards are very helpful for learning such information. Names are secondary to roles. When you meet someone new, you are rarely given their name but you are often given their role (husband, son, wife, daughter, producer, business partner, director, etc). So consequently, I don't know the name of the Korean family that was so kind to me. I know their roles and what they do for a living and where they live and their religious beliefs (I joined them for dinner and prayer last night) but I don't know the family name. ... miso angry

c.) I said back-ass-wards things like 'she is so talented' to the concert producer and 'it was a wonderful show' to the Bora Gene's father! ... miso stupid

No comments: