my friend Bluewave sent me some really cool articles. this happens to be one of them. it's about online dating written by Casilda Grigg at The Telegraph. and it's super cute.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2006/10/10/hdate10.xml
This is an excerpt from the artlice:
~~~
It's time to move on — to mysinglefriend.com, which was set up by the television presenter Sarah Beeny. It is an unusual site, where friends, rather than the singletons themselves, write the profiles.
I dragoon my friend Ruth into writing a few words about me (an oddly touching experience in itself). Just because I can, I ask for a man who's good at maths, driving, map-reading, form-filling, DIY and ''other blokey stuff". Football fanatics need not apply.
The next day an email lands in my inbox. With one mouse click, up comes a profile for Simon, 34, a university-educated, self-employed consultant, who is described by his friend Liz as ''intelligent and humorous". The good news is he's over 6ft and really quite handsome.
He has decided to tackle my profile in a very factual (male) way, with a short, pithy email listing his ''blokey" credentials: ''Hmm, let's see. Maths? Well, I've got a PhD. Form filling? Er . . . OK. DIY? So far, so good. Driving? Yep (pilot's licence). Map-reading? No problem. Football? No thank you!"
My fingers fly across the keyboard. A manly man who doesn't like football? Am I dreaming?
"What kind of car do you drive? Not a Porsche I hope."
A reply comes zipping back.
"A Porsche? Moi? Oh behave. PS I drive a Maserati."
Soon we are exchanging larky emails until one day Simon takes the initiative: "Dare I suggest a drink?"
We meet at Café Bohème in Soho (his choice). I get there uncharacteristically early and stand at the bar feeling nervous, clutching a glass of wine and trying not to down it in one gulp. The place is swarming with canoodling couples. Nervously I scan the doorway. Will he look anything like his internet photo? What on earth will we say to each other?
Bang on time, Simon pitches up and immediately clocks me at the bar. Amazingly conversation takes off straightaway. I was worried that he might be the kind of man who tells jokes, but - oh joy - he is actually witty and on my wavelength. He even manages to make his work (for a mobile phone company) sound interesting and he looks just like his photo.
We part after three rounds of drinks, kissing goodbye like old friends. The next day a text comes pinging over. Shall we do a film in a week's time? It's perfectly judged - friendly, but not too eager. A connection was definitely made, but it's too early to know whether it's anything more.
~~~
ohhhhh .... i want a sequel! was Simon the one for Casilda? was Casilda the one for Simon?
one of these days i'm going to create my online dating profile ... one of these days ... that is of course, unless my Mr. Right happens to come along
1 comment:
This story is very compelling much like that out of romantic novel! I can't wait to hear the ending... is it happily ever after or not? Perhaps we shall never know...
I think that is a really cool idea about having a friend write your bio for dating, doesn't seem to put so much pressure on the one trying to find the perfect mate!
Post a Comment