Sunday, October 15, 2006

Webcam and Video Skype

Okay, I don't know whether I'm creating more trouble or more convenience in my life by having a webcam for video communications. In any event, it has been done. The main reason for getting a webcam is for use in communicating with my family: to supplement our audio conversations with video. (Shema, get ready to say hello.) I think this is going to be really cool - seeing family again. Just a few thoughts about this experience thus far:

According to Skype, its software is not compatible with all webcams. This is a link/list of webcams that have been tested and are compatible with Skype version 2.0 and later. I am using a Lebeca Pro USB webcam which is not on Skype's list but I have tested it and found that it is compatible. Now all I need is for my parents to buy a webcam, install the driver, plug it in and test it and then, up, up and away we go with video communications.

I bought my webcam off Dave's ESL Cafe's Buy/Sell/Trade forum but I regret the choice because I think I paid too much (30,000 Won or aprox. $30) for a used webcam that doesn't even have a built in microphone. I already have a mic but I wanted the webcam to include a mic so that I that I didn't have to add an additional piece of peripheral equipment to my system that would further clutter my desk.

Prior to my webcam purchase I did a lot of pricing and researching for various webcams on the following websites: BestBuy.com, zipzoomfly.com, Skype, (and one other site which I cannot remember right now). These days, $30 can get you an average, yet new webcam with an embedded microphone ... so why I bought the webcam that I did without verifying it had a mic1 ~or~ without pricing the model2 before handing over the cash is far beyond my understanding of myself.

But, I wanted to buy a webcam in Korea rather than online and then have it shipped from the States. Ultimately, I think I overthought the whole situation (like I am doing right now) and ended up buying a webcam that I'm not crazy about. But, if I were to look at the bright side then I would realize that: a) I have a webcam that works, b) I bought it here in Korea like I wanted, rather than in the States, and c) I already have a mic so I don't need to buy anything else to make the webcam work.

Yeah, this is going to be fun!

1 "Signal Noise Ratio: Greater than 66dB" does not mean that the piece of hardware has a microphone as I mistakenly assumed.
2 retail for the webcam (that I purchased used for about $30) is about $30. that certainly isn't a rip off (especially since it was not used according to previous owner who still had original packaging) but definitely is no bargain.

3 comments:

ßlϋeωãvε said...

Well, $30 is cheaper than buying a new Apple iBook. ;) Doesn't your laptop have a built-in mic - not ideal 'cos it would pic up typing and computer noises.

I doubt a web cam's mic would of equal quality as your stand alone mic. Your voice should sound clearer on a dedicated mic.

Now you can see people online before deciding if you want to meet in person. ;)

PS. I like the shape your hand makes in the main window pic.

Janice said...

susie i love your hair! is it darker than before or just straighter...either way i ove it! I have a web cam too (not currently installed) so i will check to see if it is skype compatible. Unfortunatly for right now, i dont even have a working computer. we moved our 'den' to where our bedroom was and i can't get the internet to work on my computer. we got it working on jasons so for now i am using his...you are simply adorable~

Soo said...

Tim, thanks for the compliment...so did you get a new Apple iBook? cool new toy! yes, i agree with you about the laptop and the webcam mic (which i assume is why the laptop doesn't have an internal mic). i have made many videos of myself to test the audio and my voice is very clear so it turns out all is well. Do you use video communications to keep in touch with your friends/family?

Jan, I can't wait to talk with you via video Skype! cool, cool, cool. i'm so psyched. I did get my hair colored a dark color but the color does look darker in the photo. thanks for the compliment - i like the way my hair looks in the photo too! talk to you later today.