Thursday, May 25, 2006

Next Adventure?

I want to work on a farm. There is an organization called the World-Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms that connects volunteers with organic farms all over the world. The idea is that room and board is exchanged for hard labor. Sounds like a great experience. I want to own a large piece of land and grow my own vegetables when I grow up; maybe even own a farm myself. Volunteering would give me valuable experience and knowledge that I could use to achieve these future goals. Read more.

Early hours and cold showers - yes, I'd have a big problem with that but as long as there is Internet connection and time to use it I can deal! Okay, so there is probably no Internet connection on these farms ... ugh! I still want a vegetable garden when I grow up.

4 comments:

Janice said...

are any of these farms located in virginia or pennsylvania? just checking! = )

ßlϋeωãvε said...

"when I grow up" - *smirks*

I met a few people on my travels who were going from volunteer project to volunteer project. It's a good way of meeting people apparently, gives one that inner glow of satisfaction, but is hard work.

Growing your own veggies sounds great, till some pest or disease wipes out a whole years crop.

Soo said...

@jan - awe ... I love you for asking me that! and, no, i don't think so!

@tim - i don't mind labor intensive work. i'm really good at doing hard, thankless and backbreaking work. there's something really rewarding when i use my own strength, sweat and time to make a positive impact on the earth, whether it be planting flowers, raking leaves or picking up trash. before i moved out of my old house, each month i'd pick a day and spend a few hours hunched over, ducking under thorny branches, stepping through super soft soil to pick up trash in the forested area behind my house. ignorant and careless people leave trash uncontained at the curb for pick-up but wind and varmints naturally carry pieces of it from the curb to the nearest cluster of tress making for an eye sore. but it was very rewarding to remove all that junk and have three huge bags of trash and a new view from my kitchen window as a result. one time i found two guns hidden in a cardboard box under an evergreen tree next to the storm drain right behind my house. scared me to death. turns out they were pellet guns (which looked exactly like 45 caliber hand guns!) but i turned them in to the police. the policewoman told me that it goes by finder's keeper's – that i could have kept them. anyway, they are supposed to destroy them if i ask them to, which I did! sounded like the best option to me

ßlϋeωãvε said...

You just keep going up in my estimations. :)