Last Friday was my fourth prayer and dinner gathering with a group of Koreans and their families. I sensed something mathematical in the air ...
English communication with Korean adults (let's call this x) and English communication with Korean kids (let's call this y) are inversely related, over time. At our first meeting, adults made an effort to speak to me in English and include me in conversations by translating for those who could not speak English - or more accurately, for those who could not understand Korean (that's me - I'm the foreigner). On the other hand, kids (who learn and know and understand English very well) did not say anything (not even 'hello') at our first meeting due to feeling shy (and embarrassed to use foreign language?). However, as time passes, x decreases and y increases!
The more comfortable the adults get around me the less they (remember to?) speak to me in English. The more comfortable the kids get around me the more they (want to?) speak to me in English. Of course, z (my effort to learn Korean) remains constant.
3 comments:
I think there needs to be a L constant in there, as adults become lazier and lazier over time to speak a second language.
Well, at least you have somewhere to go and socialise in a friendly environment and eat dinner. :)
I have always said that when an adult is put into a learning environment they always revert back to the childhood mentality and that for the trainer all other time stands still except theirs, since from year to year their students remain the same age and the trainer ages. This is from my experiance as a trainer teaching young adults in the military and professional adults in the work force.
@bluewave (Tim) - Hiya Tim, you are spot on, as they say across the pond! ;-) I have enjoyed the socialization that these gatherings have brought to my life. As a result, I have begun to yearn for a community of my own; a place that gives me a sense of belonging. (For whatever reason) I never felt that connection in group settings before but I see it as a possibility now. If it can happen in Korea with Koreans it can happen anywhere with anybody as long as there is good food, good attitudes, a common interest and an open heart!
@anonymous (Dad!) - Dad, don't be shy, select "Other" when you post comments to my blog and write "Dad of the Year, 34 years in a row" or "Awesome Father that raised you up right". You have continued to surprise me and I feel very blessed for every member of my family!
Post a Comment