Friday, December 30, 2005

You snooze, you loose

I haven't blogged in a while as you guys have pointed out to me! I've been lazy and have not had much to say. Some things I've done since my last post: visited the Aquarium at the COEX and the Barbie Story Seoul exhibit at the Seoul Arts Museum. Pictures coming soon.

Christmas came and went without much fanfare. In fact, I spent the entire day in bed due to my first sickness since coming to Korea. It was just a cold, but a miserable one. Anyway, it was weird to have Christmas day pass without so much as a whistle to celebrate the occasion yet I'm still grateful to have experienced it that way.

Today I'm reading a book by Nicholas Sparks called The Notebook. It's a love story - I'm always in for a love story. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and maybe Matt and I will go to downtown Chongno for the ringing of the replica Bosingak Bell, which is tolled 33 times at the stroke of midnight at the beginning of every New Year.

Anyway, now to the point of my post.

Some Korean's don't respect the queue and I realized today that these people irritate me. Today while at the grocery store I was standing in the line to get my produce weighed and stickered when, while I looked away for a split second at something in the distance, a lady cut in front of me by opportunistically placing her produce on the scale when it was my turn to do so. She seized the moment and the grocery-lady working the scale didn't even notice. So I was irritated because the cutter got away with cutting in front of me. I guess shouting, Hey! No cuts! No buts! No coconuts! wouldn't have made any difference (or sense to her for that matter ... wait a minute, it doesn't make any sense to me either!). So I just resorted to giving her a wicked you-disgust-me look, then feeling extremely juvenile for doing so. Anyway, this line-cutting behavior is typical. Not all Koreans cut but it happens frequently. A person, usually an older woman with well manicured hair and nails and maybe a fur, or fur-lined, coat carrying many shopping bags indicating how good she is at spending her husband's money, cuts in front of others standing at the register counters (at a fast food restaurant for example) and just starts barking her orders and waving her money in the air. By my ingrained American standards this is so rude that I actually feel disdain for her. The employee will always reprimand the cutter but, as in the case of today, if the employee doesn't see the cutter cutting, it goes unchecked, and so does my irritation. My cure: writing about it.

ahhh ... that feels better.

No comments: