Tuesday, February 14, 2006

An Exoparasitoid called Ampulex Compressa

Occasionally I think I've heard something that is just so scientifically awesome that I'm compelled to share, like this article about colored bubbles. This time I must pass along a fascinating description of an exoparasitoid wasp called the Ampulex compressa. Here's a summary and a photo of the latter ...

The adult female wasp, when ready to lay an egg, finds a cockroach then temporarily paralyzes it with a sting and then delivers an injection of venom with another sting into one particular spot in the brain that influences the cockroach's neurons in such a way that disables the escape reflex. THEN ... (she's not even close to being done) ... THEN, using the cockroach's antennae and while mounted like a horseback rider, she steers it back into her lair. She seals the lair then lays her egg on the abdomen of the cockroach, still very much alive and not the least bit interested in escaping. A few days later the egg hatches and the larva chews a hole in the side of the roach and feasts off the cockroach as it grows. wow ...

Ampulex compressa
Carl Zimmer has more on Ampulex compressa

Takes manipulation to a whole new level. For the first time in my life I feel bad for cockroaches.

Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i must admit, i have had days that i wish i were a wasp.

this has to be the most amazing and quite disgusting story i have ever heard, thank you so much for sharing....

oh and by the way, Happy Valentines Day to you too!

Anonymous said...

WOW!
I just read the bubble article! That is so amazing and I am so excited about the possibilities as a result! It is so nice to be encouraged by hard work and dedication to a dream.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful find!

Do you think we can get some of those bubbles for my wedding?

Anonymous said...

I THINK THAT PRETTY MUCH SUMS UP MY VALENTINES DAY. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hay, don't you be giving women any ideas about a new way to have kids. My life as a cockroach was just fine until now. Thank god the wasp and I are beyond all of that. I will send you and email about where I am at and my new found technology. As always LOL